Tuesday, March 17, 2009

E-Books, Feedbooks, and Doyle

This evening I neglected my studies and finished reading my first e-book. The novel of choice was "A Study in Scarlet" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and is the first of the Sherlock Holmes stories. A delightful read and, amazingly enough, my first Sherlock Holmes story.

When first looking at the Kindle I was concerned by the small text space. I worried that reading from an area this small, only a tad larger than an index card, would prove bothersome. But not so! The width is great (at least for the font size I enjoy) for reading, not too wide and not too narrow. The shorter page length left ample room to hold onto the e-book while reading and flipping a page couldn't be easier. As someone who often reads while eating, it is a blessing not having to keep the book open by constantly shifting weights around the pages or by contorting the thumb and pinky of one hand around a paper back.

I was fortunate to discover Feedbooks the night that my Kindle arrived. Feedbooks has done a wonderful job typesetting many out of copyright and public commons books. They provide these in an easy to access manner directly from the Kindle. Simply navigate the Kindle web browser to http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide to download the guide to books they have available. You can then use this guide on Kindle to download books of interest. The Feedbooks Kindle help page provides a more complete description of this processes. My one recommendation is to use the table of contents for the Feedbook guide as this provides easy access to some nice lists of books, genera listings, and an author index.

I've now about 60 more classics lined up to read with highlights including more Doyle, all of Burroughs's mars books, and epic poetry by Milton.

No comments:

Post a Comment